Amgen Senior Data Engineer (Enterprise Data Fabric) in Los Angeles, California
Senior Data Engineer (Enterprise Data Fabric)
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like you’re part of something bigger, it’s because you are. At Amgen, our shared mission—to serve patients—drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world’s leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve together—researching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. It’s time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
What you will do
Let’s do this. Let’s change the world. The Senior Data Engineer will help realize Amgen’s Digital Strategy. This program will produce business insights through analytic solutions across the Amgen value chain. The Senior Data Engineer will be part of a team that is developing the Enterprise Data Fabric. The Data Fabric is composed of data domains which are based on formal ontologies and presented to data scientists and applications in graph and relational databases. The Enterprise Data Fabric will enable and accelerate the ability of Amgen business leaders to discover insights, optimize business processes and create value.
Your skill set will eventually be strong in both SQL and Knowledge Graph type databases. If you have experience in Neo4J, or triple stores that is a plus. If you have the desire and aptitude to learn new technologies, we help you. We are primarily looking for people who love taking complex data and making it easy to use. Also, we believe Knowledge Graph technologies are the wave of the future. Join us now.
· Leading and being hands-on for the technical design, development, testing, implementation, and support of data pipelines that load the data domains in the Enterprise Data Fabric and associated data services.
· Collaborating with Semantic Modelers to understand and instantiate the Data Domain formal ontologies into Relational and Knowledge Graph physical designs.
· Collaborating with Amgen platform owners who own and maintain the 2 platforms that the pipelines use: Databricks and a Knowledge graph database in order to build utilities and optimize performance.
· Collaboration with RunOps engineers to continuously increase our ability to push changes into production with as little manual overhead and as much speed as possible.
· Enable data consumers to realize value by understanding their business problem, offering data guidance, and creating data toolkits/services
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dynamic professional we seek has these qualifications:
Master’s degree and 3 years of Information Systems experience
Bachelor’s degree and 5 years of Information Systems experience
Associate degree and 10 years of Information Systems experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Information Systems experience
· The ability to contribute in a collaborative and fast paced environment
· BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
· 5+ years hands-on experience with SQL and relational technologies (Oracle, Teradata, PostGres, Spark)
· 2+ years hands-on experience with Semantic technologies and approaches ( RDF, Triplestores, SPARQL, Stardog, Marklogic, Neo4J, Allegro- graph)
· 5+ years of experience designing complex and inter - dependent data models for analytic , Machine learning use cases.
· 5+ years of experience architecting and building processes that extract, process and add value to data sets from multiple source systems.
· Experienced with logical and physical data modeling and tuning of relational and knowledge graph databases ( Databricks, Snowflake, Stardog, Neo4J, Marklogic, Ontotext, Ontoforce)
· Experience working with distributed computing tools (Spark, Hive, etc.)
· Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, S3, Lambda
· Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Airflow, etc.
· 5+ years of experience with one or more general purpose programming languages such as Python
· 5+ years experience working with leading agile development methodologies such as Sprint and Scrum
· Experience with Software engineering best-practices, including but not limited to version control (Git, TFS, Subversion, etc.), CI/CD (Jenkins, Maven, Gradle, etc.), automated unit testing, Dev Ops.
· Biotech / Pharma experience is a plus
· Experience in Research Informatics, Biologic therapeutic development is a plus
· Full stack development using infrastructure cloud services (AWS preferred) and cloud-native tools and design patterns (Containers, Serverless, Docker, etc) is a plus.
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates’ professional and personal growth and well-being.
· Clear and disciplined strategic vision for the future that leverages superior-quality products, operational excellence, and top-shelf-talent
· Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
· Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission – to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment, and inclusion in all that we do. We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Amgen requires all staff in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada to be vaccinated from COVID 19 as a condition of employment. In accordance with applicable law, Amgen will provide reasonable accommodations to staff members who qualify on the basis of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance. Such accommodation may not pose an undue hardship to Amgen, its operations, or its staff.